- Because I Said I Would.
- Pediatric Dentists
- Cleaning Children’s Teeth
- Sharing our strength for Laura
- 5 Things to Look For When Choosing a Pediatric Dentist
- Which toothpaste is right for my child?
- How to Find an Orthodontist in Your Area
- Welcome to Our Blog
- Toothpaste Kids Like and We Recommend
- Tongue Tied? How the Frenulum Can Affect Speech and What To Do About It
- Tongue Ties: What Parents Need to Know
- How to Make Brushing Teeth Fun for Kids
- myKIDSdds: Dentist Office For Children in Dallas
- Tongue/ Lip Tie’s In Toddlers
- Healthy ways to stay hydrated this summer
- Comparing Invisalign and Metal Braces
- Orthodontist vs General Dentist
- 4 Tips to Get Your Kids to Brush Their Teeth
- We are so excited to welcome Dr. Glenn Cohen!
- How to find a Good/Best Orthodontist for your Kids
- What Kinds of Foods Can I Eat With Braces?
- Does My Child Need a Mouthguard for Sports?
- Your Child and Sedation Dentistry
- Endodontist or Orthodontist – Which Dentist is Right for You?
While the results of wearing braces are phenomenal – straight teeth, a better-aligned jaw, and an amazing smile – the process of wearing them is not always as enjoyable. Today’s braces are much more comfortable than they were in the past but they still require oral hygiene care, ongoing maintenance, and the omission of certain foods. If you or your child has metal braces, the following list may prove to be helpful!
Foods to Avoid While Wearing Braces
In general, avoid food that is hard or sticky. Hard food, in particular, can harm or break your braces. Some examples include:
– Hard candy
– Popcorn (because of the hulls)
– Fruit with pits
– Hard crackers, chips, or cookies
– Corn on the cob
– Ice (it’s okay in drinks but do not chew)
Sticky foods are a no-no because they make it extremely difficult to clean in between and around your braces. The residue then sticks to the enamel, weakening it and causing potential stains and future issues. Make sure to avoid –
– Maple syrup
– Peanut butter
Eat with Caution
While some foods may not be entirely off limits, they should be eaten sparingly and with caution. The biggest concern with the following items is that they can loosen, or even damage, your braces’ brackets and wires. Use care with the following foods:
– Beef jerky
– Raw vegetables
– Pizza crust
– Hard, crusty bread
– Overly-cooked pork or beef
– Ice (it is ok in drinks, but do not chew)
– Meat on the bone (wings, ribs, etc.)
It’s important to remember that using your teeth to open things, chewing on pens, pencils, jackets strings, nails, bottle caps and similar is never a good idea. It is extremely bad for your teeth and can also cause major damage to brackets and wires.
Although you may feel limited in food choices, there’s a variety of foods you can eat that won’t harm your braces. Foods that are softer in texture is highly recommended, making it more comfortable for the times you get your braces tightened. Some examples of good choices are:
– Cooked rice and pasta
– Deli meat
– Yogurt, applesauce, and smoothies
– Soft fruits and vegetables
– Eggs in all forms
– Mashed potatoes
– Soft bread and baked goods
It is also essential to keep the enamel strong because this helps the braces stick to your teeth. Foods that enhance strength include those that contain calcium and protein, like cottage cheese.
Make an Appointment with Dallas’ Top Orthodontists
Our team aspires to be recognized as the premier center for pediatric dentistry and orthodontics in Dallas, Texas by providing the best dental experience and highest quality of care to our patients with integrity, compassion and love. We care for your children as if they were our own.
If you have any questions, concerns or want to learn more about braces and/or foods to eat and avoid, don’t hesitate to reach out to myKIDSdds today!